- After Apple’s guidance revision, time to focus on enterprise
- Apple Brazenly Mocks Tech Rivals With Huge Billboard Touting Privacy At CES 2019
- Apple’s T2 Security Chip Confirmed To Slap Handcuffs On Some Third-Party Repairs
- One Reason Apple Got Cozy With Amazon Is About Killing Off Refurbs On Consumers
- Apple’s New MacBook Pro Keyboard Has ‘Thin, Silicone Barrier’ Under Each Key: iFixit
- Notifications are broken. Here’s how Apple and Google can fix them.
- SNAKABLE ARMORED APPLE MFI LIGHTNING CABLE REVIEW: LIKE APPLE’S LIGHTNING CABLE ON STEROIDS
- ALPHA AUDIOTRONICS SKYBUDS REVIEW: A FRUSTRATING PAIR OF TRUE WIRELESS EARBUDS
- REVIEW: THE IPHONE X IS THE BEST PHONE FOR BUSINESS, PERIOD.
- IMOVIE 10 REVIEW: FREE VIDEO EDITING THAT’S ELEGANT AND EASY
ASRock Outs X399 Phantom Gaming 6 Motherboard For 32-Core Ryzen Threadripper Goodness
ASRock is embracing AMD’s Ryzen Threadripper family of processors with its first HEDT motherboard that falls under the Phantom Gaming line. Meet the X399 Phantom Gaming 6, which is a flagship motherboard featuring an eight-layer PCB design, eight-phase digital power delivery, and dual 8-pin connectors for power.
Given that this is an HEDT motherboard that is fueled by Ryzen Threadripper power, there are a total of eight DDR4 DIMM slots supporting a total of 128GB. As for memory speeds, the board can handle 3400MHz+ frequencies. Onboard you’ll find a total of three PCIe 3.0 x16 slots that can wrangle up to three AMD Radeon graphics cards in a CrossFire configuration or two NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards in SLI.
On the storage front, there are eight SATA III connectors with the X399 chipset supporting RAID 0, RAID 1 and RAID 10. For those that require a faster storage subsystem, there are three M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 slots.
When it comes to wired connectivity, ASRock has your bases covered with an Intel-based Gigabit Ethernet controller and a Realtek 2.5Gb Ethernet controller. If you’re looking for a standard onboard wireless controller, you won’t find one here, unfortunately. However, there is an M.2 Key E connector for those that wish to add an 802.11ac adapter.
For those that like to load up on peripherals, you’ll find two USB 3.1 Gen 2 connectors (one Type-A, one Type-C) and a total of 12 USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports (eight on the rear I/O plate and four headers at the front of the motherboard). As for audio, the X399 Phantom Gaming 6 uses a Realtek ALC1220 audio codec and an NE5532 amplifier along with Nichicon Fine Gold audio capacitors.
And if that wasn’t enough, being that this is a gaming motherboard, the PCH heatsink features RGB LEDs that are compatible with ASRock’s own Polychrome RGB lighting.
The ASRock X399 Phantom Gaming 6 supports both first- and second-generation AMD Ryzen Threadripper processors, meaning that you can load one up with a beastly 32-core/64-thread Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX. Pricing and availability have not yet been announced for the motherboard.